2.21.2013

Homemade Dish Soap

Homemade Dish Soap

1 & 1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup liquid castile soap (any scent of your choice, just keep this in mind when adding other oils later)
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Arm & Hammer's Super Washing Soda (can be found in the laundry isle at grocery stores)
1/8 Tsp. Tea Tree Oil (for antibacterial properties)
I like to add 10-20 drops of lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, or rosemary to up the antibacterial-ness :)

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and make sure to break up all the washing soda clumps with a fork. Once it is a nice consistency, allow it to sit and cool, stirring every now and then. When it is cooled, I use a funnel to put it in my reused dish soap bottle. This soap is runnier than traditional store bought dish soap, so be careful when you are pouring it out.

I have been using this for several months now, and I think it works great!

Let me know what you think of it!

love & light,
Claire

4 comments:

  1. I really love your blog! Lots of good ideas, and I totally agree on your mindset. I'm trying to live a more eco-friendly life too, so it's nice with some ideas (I just got a vintage razor myself ;) ). I have just started my own blog too, blogging from Norway about my life. I'm also a vegetarian and I plan on sharing some recipes later. I'm also planning on reviewing the organic make-up and hair products I've purchased. Would love it if you took a look :)

    Solrun
    http://www.thishouseblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all your homemade household goods that you've been posting lately, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made this and the soap is separating and not sudzy.... is that how yours is? or did i do something wrong??? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does separate if I take a long time to use it up, but not right when I make it. It also has suds but not giant bubbles like traditional dish soap. Maybe try putting the vinegar in last? Or you could use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to blend it all together again. I hope this helps.

      Delete