1.24.2013

Homemade Toothpaste Recipe!

I came up with this recipe after experimenting and researching for some time. I like the fact that it is all natural and made with ingredients that I can pronounce and are good for you. Oooh and no fluoride!
  • Baking soda has many natural health uses, and can even be taken internally to help balance pH. 
  • If you haven't heard about all the amazing uses for coconut oil, check this out. You might also want to do some reading on oil pulling... interesting stuff!
  • Stevia is plant-derived and doesn't damage your teeth. It sweetens up the mix.
  • The calcium supplements are added to help to remineralize your teeth. I recommend Vitamin Code Raw Calcium, because it is plant-derived calcium which makes it more "bioavailable" (more easily absorbed). For more information on remineralization, see here.
  • The peppermint essential oil has antiseptic properties, and gives the toothpaste it's minty taste! 


Homemade Toothpaste

 

3 Tbsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. stevia extract powder- you may also use Xylitol for added decay prevention
3 powder capsules calcium supplement (carefully pull them open)
25 drops peppermint essential oil (you could other oils for your own flavor)

Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and mash with a fork until smooth.

Spoon the mixture into a cute container. And voila! Or, if you prefer, you could also try using a kitchen syringe to put it into a cleaned out toothpaste tube.

To use it, just dip your clean toothbrush in, or use a spoon to put it on your toothbrush.


Let me know how it works for you!!

love & light,
Claire

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :/ I am not sure, I use it all and it hasn't ever gone bad. I believe the coconut oil and peppermint keep it preserved.

      Delete
  2. yes! lately i've been thinking that i need to start actually making the healthful changes that i have been wanting in my life, and finding a healthy toothpaste is on my list. thanks for this, your post answered my 'i wonder how to make toothpaste' question :)

    ReplyDelete